This position works to learn the trade and processes required for producing luxury metal lighting fixtures and will train in sub-tasks of all production areas.
This position works to learn the trade and processes required for producing luxury metal lighting fixtures and will train in sub-tasks of all production areas. The water spider position is a supporting role that services multiple areas and groups in a cyclic fashion and will entail a variety of skills and functions. The ideal candidate enjoys working with their hands, seeing a job completed to high standards and on time, works well on their own and in a team environment, adapts well to change, is punctual and collaborates toward continuous improvement. Since this is a new and developing position, additional job functions will be added as the candidate becomes proficient and the process itself becomes ready to add additional functions.
Our production only runs on 1st shift. The production schedule runs Monday - Thursday (four 10 hour days)... therefore most weekends are 3-day weekends!
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with skilled Craftsmen to learn the trade and processes required for performing meaningful preparatory work in the fabricating of metal lighting fixtures.
- Inspect incoming work for quality and completeness and create required documentation (INCs) in the event of a non-conformance.
- Perform preparatory steps related to Craft as well as fabricate components and sub-assemblies of standard and custom lighting fixtures as defined by supporting documentation at each station.
- Perform preparatory steps related to finishing, wiring, and packing of lights as defined by supporting documentation at each station.
- Perform other support-related tasks such as restocking material, maintaining visual management systems, and transporting material.
- Manage time to complete required processes according to water-spider route schedule.
- Facilitate flow of material from process to process.
- Other tasks may be assigned as dictated by business needs.
- Communicate status, needs, or obstacles to facilitate smooth and efficient flow of product through the shop.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Tolerance of repetitious work
- Ability to pass a respirator medical questionnaire/exam and “fit test” and wear as required
- Ability to wear other PPE as required
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Ability and desire to work with hands
- Knowledge of basic hand, power, and marking tools
- Understanding of fractions and geometry
- Familiarity with Imperial and Metric measurements and ability to convert to/from decimals.
- Ability to read, understand and work from working blueprints or shop drawings.
- Ability to properly identify raw materials and components.
- Attention to detail; ability to adhere to quality standards
- Prior metal working in production experience is a plus!
More about The Urban Electric Company
We make it our mission to recruit and retain highly skilled and passionate individuals. Because we have a genuine respect for the talents and story of every member of our team, our culture attracts a wide variety of personalities and backgrounds to compose an eclectic and fun atmosphere. Each of our company’s products is bench-made and hand-finished at our 120,000 sq. ft. headquarters in Charleston, which houses the talented engineers, sales and marketing professionals, designers, and craftsmen who make up our team. We pride ourselves on manufacturing processes that secure the growth and sustainability of artisanal craft for the future by using modern techniques that enhance and refine the hand-build approach as opposed to replacing it.